In a change from my usual Right Now posts instead of the usual photo dump I am going to give you a music dump! We are listening to more music than ever in the house of Clev. The Kitchen is the place where the tunes are pumping most of the day, its a good mix between my music (folky girlie guitar music and old school classics) Mr Clevs (boyband shite – by the time I had worked out his awful taste in music I was already preggo and it was too late to save my ears from years of BSB and N-Sync) and kiddie jams.
Heres the sounds the miniature Clevines are loving right now…
1) Bruno Mars – Amelie is Uptown Funk obsessed. Direct quote “Too hot? Hot JAM, ya better call the fireman”. We also love his first album especially ‘Marry You’ (I really want someone to propose to my sister by creating a flashmob where we all sing and dance ‘hey KATIE, I think I wanna marry you’,that shit would go viral in an instant). Some of his stuff is a bit too sex-u-al for the under 9 crew so we have made a playlist for the kids that has all the fun non breakup/sexy time songs on it.
2) Teaser and the Firecat – Cat Stevens. I cant help it, I just like guitar/folky music and this is a direct blast from the past. I only got into this recently because my mum mentioned I listened to this (on vinyl, natch) as a child. So good for relaxing in front of the fire while the girls are napping and the Lego is out.
3) Raffi – Baby Beluga/One life one Sun. Another blast from the past I listened to this over and over as a child. My girls LOVE this and singing along to all the songs. ‘Oats and Beans and Barley grows’ is a favourite and ‘Baby Beluga’ too. Its old school but really timeless and it only annoys me a tiny bit and thats after about 5 songs which isn’t bad going.
4) George Ezra – I LOVE HIM, and so do the kids. He needs to do a Dublin gig so we can all go along for some Ezra loving. Coincidentally I have always loved the name Ezra for a boy but Mr Clev vetoed it.
5) Disney – Frozen of course is a huge hit with the girls. Mr Clev and I do a pretty decent rendition (with actions) of ‘Love is an Open Door’. I listened to three entire Frozen sound track songs in the car the other day before I realised I had no kids in there with me. Mort-i-fied.
6) The Sound of Music – This is a family favourite film and one that we watch religiously every Christmas, and quite a bit through the year too. I recently put the sound track on CD and everyone (me included) loves singing along. I need to live on a mountain so that I can run freely and randomly burst into song with my children in tow. neeeeeeedddddd.
7) Jack Johnson – Sing a Long Songs. Mr Clev and I saw Jack Johnson in Hyde Park, years ago, and while I like his music it can sometimes make me fall into a deep dark depression after a while. I like listening to this fun album and so do the guys. Upside Down from Curious George is a fave as is ‘people watching’.
8) Yo Gabba Gabba songs. Our best ones are ‘Theres a party in my tummy’ and ‘pajama party time’. Yo Gabba Gabba is awesome and all the cool kids watch it. FACT.
9) Basement Jaxx/Fatboy Slim – The old school classiques. The kids are in loud music dance heaven and its not poppy but has the pop kind of beats which keeps them bopping away happily plus I LOVE Basement Jaxx and it takes me back to sunny days in the park circa 2001.
10) One Direction. No one really cares too much that Zayn left, and we got to see them at Croke Park last year in their prime!ha! The boys have deemed 1D uncool but Amelie loves them (as do I – no shame) our favourite is air guitaring on the kitchen table to ‘Best Song Ever’. My dream kitchen has a marble island so that I can join in with the air guitaring (damn you rickety farmhouse table).
So theres our Right Now – Musical edition. Any other child friendly musical suggestions, send them my way on twitter.